Monday, September 12, 2011

And So It Begins

I have my topic for the MSIDT final project.

I've been toying with the idea for months, even beginning preliminary brainstorming on how I might implement it.  Every method I have considered will be time consuming to develop.  I had a second option, to develop a tutorial for the features of my company's website.  My managers felt that since our website is constantly in development that it would not stay current long enough to be useful.  They're probably right, but it would have been a much easier topic.  But my managers have selected my first idea.  Corporate has approved it.  And I'm freaking out a little bit.

My project will be to write the classroom training manuals for a position in our customer service department.  The task of this position is to investigate and resolve customer orders that are on hold due to discrepancies.  The position requires the ability to make good judgement calls with incomplete information rather quickly.  It is a position that I held for more than three years and continue to oversee, so it is a position I know very well.  So what's the big deal?  Why the freak out?

I have trained others in the position six times and each time I did it differently because there are currently no training materials aside from the procedures document.  Since the position involves complex decision making with few guidelines, training beyond the basics is elusive.  The trick is that, despite no training in how to make proper decisions, your decisions are reviewed by Corporate daily.  If you made a wrong choice, you hear about it.  It is through this process of making the wrong judgement call and later being coached in how I should have handled the situation that I have learned how to think like Corporate, how to make the decisions they view as valid.  But how do you train someone to think and make decisions the way that the corporate office wants you to?  We can't wait three years for the newbies to get it right, and recently there has been a major focus on avoiding these internal errors that a newbie would never see coming.  So now what?

That's where I come in, apparently.  Concept attainment.  Decision making strategies.  Indexing common discrepancies and their preferred resolutions.  Through the use of examples I will be guiding trainees through inductively acquiring the concepts behind company-approved decisions.  My company does a huge amount of preventative training to avoid making errors in the first place.  Hopefully this project will raise this position's training to the same caliber.

No comments:

Post a Comment